Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who else on here got the new and inproved email from our leaders at the MDWFP about supporting the two new bills? I got it last night.. and a month ago and just canceled my subscription to them.

MDWFP Supports Deer Season Structure Change

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) continues its support of HB 1282 as it moves to a vote in the Mississippi State Senate. HB 1282 passed the Mississippi House of Representatives with an overwhelming majority. Now is the time for sportsmen to contact their senator in support of this bill. ?We appreciate the support of the sportsmen,? MDWFP Wildlife Bureau Chief Larry Castle said. ?It?s the support of these sportsmen that help us to progress and move forward.?

If HB 1282 becomes law, the deer season structure for 2010-11 would be:

Archery October 1 ? 31
Archery / Crossbow / Primitive Weapon November 1 ? 19
Gun with Dogs November 20 ? December 1
Gun without Dogs December 2 ? 23
Gun with Dogs December 24 ? January 19
Gun without Dogs January 20 ? January 31
Archery / Primitive Weapon February 1 ? February 15 (Zone 2)

HB 1282 is not taking opportunity away from archery hunters. Archery hunters still have 123 days of hunting opportunity because they can choose to hunt with archery equipment during the gun seasons. ?HB 1282 will empower landowners and hunting clubs to harvest deer earlier in the season with a more efficient weapon,? Chad Dacus, Deer Program Coordinator. ?This earlier deer harvest is needed on some properties across the state to help reduce the deer herd in areas with high numbers of deer vehicle collisions, crop damage, habitat damage, and out of balance buck-to-doe ratios.?

If you are in support of HB 1282, contact your Senator at (601) 359-3770. For a list of senators, visit http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Interesting that they specifically mention deer vehicle collisions.  Although I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this point, I bet the insurance companies and their lobbyists are pushing this bill as well!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mr Southpaw better late than never ,Ive always thought that Ins.co. have played a large part in this issue JMO.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I listened to a senator in the know confirm that just this morning. You can take it to the bank that the insurance companies are solidly behind it yet they are not the architects of it.

It takes 10 resident hunters buying their average license to equal the average license sale to an out of state hunter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Todd Macko said:
It takes 10 resident hunters buying their average license to equal the average license sale to an out of state hunter.
Then they should just go up a little on everybody's license. The license is by far the cheapest thing I buy every year.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
If its about the SIZE of the deer herd and all the damage they are causeing then let's just keep the season open year around and help our brothers in the insurance business...BTW no need for AR restrictions if its ALL about agriculture and vehicle accidents!!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Southpaw said:
Interesting that they specifically mention deer vehicle collisions. Although I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this point, I bet the insurance companies and their lobbyists are pushing this bill as well!
They are....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts