Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the Mid Breton Sound Diversion destroy your fishing ? ?

This is an important notice to all avid salt water fishermen as our fishing resource is at risk.

If the planned and fast tracked Mid Breton Sound Diversion is built, do you think it will adversely affect you???

See the presentation on the effects of fresh water intrusion on our resource and how it will affect your fishing and then you decide.

Click on the following link:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for posting. We should all be concerned with the diverting of the MIssissippi River. If dredging the river is the answer, let's get behind it. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
What I see in the video are many assertions without any data to back them up. I don't see any links to any studies on how the Mid Breton diversion will affect the Mississippi sound. I also look at the MODIS satellite photos on a regular basis and I have yet to see any water from Mardi Gras Pass make it into the Sound. It seems that opponents of the diversion are trying to use events from the opening of the Bonnet Carre spillway to scare residents of coastal Mississippi into supporting their position. I don't know what the ultimate effects of the MBD will be on the Sound, but I don't appreciate someone trying to BS me into a certain position. Two poorly produced youtube slide shows definitely aren't going to do it

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
I got to say I am surprised at that comment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volumes of water to consider

"If Mid Breton Sediment Diversion was operated this year, it would have operated at 100% capacity once the river was over 1,000,000 cfs. This occurred a total of 201 days between January and the end of July. I have attached a spreadsheet. The totals for the two spillway openings and Mid Breton Sediment Diversion are shown below. I also show the percent of the total flow for each and you can see that Mid Breton will put as much river water into the system as the two spillway openings. The operating parameters for the MidBreton Sediment Diversion are a year round base flow of 5,000 cfs (not included in the below), first trigger as early as when the river is at 450,000 cfs. The point of the opening of the diversion is to capture the mobilized bed load off the fill bank of the river and direct it into the marsh. The problem is a lot of river water comes with the sediment load. The diversion is still 99% riverwater. The diversion is suppose to open during the rising limb and once a noticeable peak is established it would shut off. During the rising limb, it would only operate at 75% capacity. However, once the river reaches 1,000,000cfs, it would run at full capacity. This is only showing that window, which again for this year, would be a total of 201 days and over 9 trillion gallons of river water, greater than both openings individually and just shy of their combined opening volumes. See the attached spreadsheet as backup:

Volumes of River Water

First Opening (gallons)……………. 3,984,153,177,600.00..... 20.11%

Second Opening (gallons)………... 6,080,293,468,800.00.... 30.70%

Mid Breton Diversion (gallons)…. 9,743,852,880,000.00 …. 49.19%

Total Volume...………………………. 19,808,299,526,400.00"

Dennis Lambert, M.Eng, P.E., Fellow of ASCE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCA Mississippi opposes Mid Breton Sediment Diversion

"07OCT2019

Having fished the past 30+ yearsin the Louisiana Marsh I have witnessed hundreds of Islands disappear to erosion. We all have witnessed this erosion. In the past decade I have fished a great deal in the Louisiana Marsh area near the Mardi Gras Pass.This area used to be some of the best inshore fishing & commercial oyster production area in the world. This past Spring alone the fresh water passing through the Mardi Gras cut has killed miles of salt water marsh. The two planned Mississippi River Diversion Projects are much larger than the Mardi Gras Pass. For those of you that aren't familiar with this area it is incredibly sad to see the miles of dead marsh and hundreds of square miles of dead oyster reefs.

The two planned diversion projects will forever change the following industries as we have known them:
Seafood
Restaurant
Commercial Fishing
Recreation Fishing & Hunting
Recreational & Commercial Boat Industry
Hospitality Industry - Hotelsalong the MS Gulf Coast
Real Estate

The funding is there to make a difference but the planned diversions are not the solution. These projects are being fast tract to start construction. We need to act NOW to stop this.
Please support Gulf CoastResource Coalition as well as contact your Congressman and Senator for help.
www.gulfcoastcoalition.org

Tommy Elkins
Chairman, CCA MS"

·
Registered
453 Posts
The last thing said is Deepening the river for better flow , well the Corps of Engineers dredge the depths to a minimum of 35' constantly year round for shipping , there's 3 different operational dredges working below New Orleans one works from Buras at the sharp bend in the river called the school yard bend because it's across from the Buras school and works it way south and spend time in bad shallow areas like cubits gap ,pilottown bar , head of the passes down to Southwest jetties and this has been happen for as long as I can remember so I doubt that will have any different effect on the Sound . I've even seen dredges working Baptiste Collette that spill into Breton Sound with no ill effects , Bird island outside of Baptiste Collette was built by spoilage dredged out of the River and all this is based on my 40 years of experience running offshore crew boats and private sport fishermans out of Venice for what I've seen and for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
......Any time large amounts of fresh water is allowed to flow freely into salt water you will lower salinity.Over a period of time the fresh water will move farther out.I don't see how this can help us here in Mississippi.The government has a small diversion now at Caernarvon La.It stays closed most of the year but they do open it mostly in Jan & Feb.When they open it all the specks move out toward Breton Sound and you can catch large fresh water catfish instead.It effects Delacroix Island mostly.I can tell you from my personal experience that this is not a good thing ,if you like inshore brackish water fishing.I'm 100% against any type of diversion.Dredging is the way to go, you can create marsh in a hurry by dredging.Diversion's are a waist of tax dollars in my opinion.These are just my thought's on the subject.[cool]...........MM

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I got to say I am surprised at that comment.
Which part. The part where I say I don't like being manipulated, or the part where I say I want to see more data before I support or oppose the diversion.

From some other info I have come across, the environmental impact statements are due to be released in early 2020.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts