Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a kayak and was hoping to get a little advice on what I should be looking for. I don't know anyone local that has one that I could try. I mostly bass fish. I bought a 17' Nitro bass boat a few years ago because I fished mostly local lakes. In hindsight, I should have bought an aluminum boat that would allow me to fish creeks and rivers. The rivers around here (Leaf and Chickasawhay) tend to be so shallow that I can't really get anywhere with my boat since it sits so deep in the water. I still like the boat for when the wife and I go to lakes. I really want to be able to access some of the creeks off the main river channels but there are no launches close by. It's a pretty long run up the river to access the creeks. I thought maybe if I had a kayak, I could drive to a bridge or something on the creek and be able to drag the kayak to it.
A kayak should allow me to fish some of the oxbow lakes, creeks and rivers by myself. I have a few likely dumb questions though...If I fished a creek or river, is it really possible to paddle up current to get back to the launch or would you have to stage a vehicle down current? I was thinking it would be nice to have a kayak I could stand in for better casting in more still water but not sure how easy that is to do. My back gets stiff after sitting too long at times so comfort is definitely a deciding factor as well.
Any suggestion on what type of yak would be most suited for creeks/rivers? I had looked at an Ascend FS128T but I read in another thread where EricVF said it's like paddling a bathtub, LOL! That doesn't sound like what I would need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yellowhawk - You really should try the kayak! I have fished out of a kayak on and off for twenty years, though never on the Leaf and Chickasawhay. I never stand up in a kayak, but there may be some in which you can. What I especially like is getting out on a sand bar in a small creek or river and wading out to cast to the other bank. I like to work one bend like that then move on to another. Do not get me wrong, I do fish from the kayak, but after an hour in the kayak it feels to get out and walk or wade a bit!

Regarding getting back to the landing against the current: I can paddle my kayak up stream but I do not recommend going downstream from the landing. Instead I always paddle upstream, fishing as I go, until I am as far as I want to go. Then I fish back downstream to the landing. Maybe I am just over cautious, but that is the way I learned to fish rivers back in the old days with my Dad and the old john boat and old outboard motor. Go upstream and you can always get back to the landing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I realize that I might be late to the party here, but you could launch the bass boat and tow the kayak behind it to the creeks that you want to fish. Beach and tie off the bass boat and head up in the creeks. That way you wouldn't have any trouble with the return trip and could fish them regardless of where they are relative to a bridge.

Cheers

FC

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, you will definitely be able to access places a bass boat can't. For fishing, look for something stable, but most important, get one that has a comfortable seat. Mine is more comfortable than most chairs. My kayak is a Native Ultimate and they use the same basic seat in other models. Wilderness Systems also look really comfortable. It's also a different experience when you're not listening to a motor and moving slowly. You hear and see everything. I honestly enjoy my kayak more than my fishing boat.

·
Registered
885 Posts
the majority of fishing i do is on creeks and rivers out of a kayak. i'd go to walmart and get the O.D. green $300 and try it. if you decide you're ready to drop some cash on one you can sell your wal mart yak on craigslist for $100 and find a "stand and fish" model. i usually strap mine onto my aluminum boat and haul it to the mouth then drop it in the water and get after it. i can tell you there is something theraputic about drifting down a creek silently.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yellowhawk - You really should try the kayak! I have fished out of a kayak on and off for twenty years, though never on the Leaf and Chickasawhay. I never stand up in a kayak, but there may be some in which you can. What I especially like is getting out on a sand bar in a small creek or river and wading out to cast to the other bank. I like to work one bend like that then move on to another. Do not get me wrong, I do fish from the kayak, but after an hour in the kayak it feels to get out and walk or wade a bit!

Regarding getting back to the landing against the current: I can paddle my kayak up stream but I do not recommend going downstream from the landing. Instead I always paddle upstream, fishing as I go, until I am as far as I want to go. Then I fish back downstream to the landing. Maybe I am just over cautious, but that is the way I learned to fish rivers back in the old days with my Dad and the old john boat and old outboard motor. Go upstream and you can always get back to the landing.
I did this when I used to creek fish in a pirogue. Go upstream and fish back down

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes sir it will. I love fishing out of mine. I've been able to get into smaller secluded ponds and other bodies of water that you couldn't get to in a bass boat. Be careful if you get a kayak cause it's addictive :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.