Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

X-bows and thumbs

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  blong 
#1 ·
I have never held a X-bow or really inspected one up close. What's the deal with people having their thumbs severed or injured when firing a X-bow? I have read more than one article on people being injured, what's up with that?

#2 ·
Most modern crossbows have a large "flange" kind of thing on the forearm to keep your thumb below the level of string travel. If you ignore that flange and put your thumb in line with the string travel, it WILL do some serious damage. If you hold the forearm properly, then your thumb will be well below the line of string travel.

#4 ·
One of the guys In our shop cut the tip of his finger off last year I think. His finger was in between the cables when he shot. Snipped the tip right off. I'm not sure what crossbow he was shooting or how old it was. You can put one more tick mark in the Lessons Learned the Hard Way column.

#7 · (Edited)
I have not gotten a digit in the path of the string... luckily.

However, I nearly broke my knee when I discharged my de-****ing arrow while pointing the crossbow nearly straight down, so I could easily find it after I climbed down from my tree in the fading light.

When the crossbow fires, the cross arms fling forward with a lot of force. One whacked my knee... HARD. Had a pretty purple and yellow bruise and some swelling, but nothing that needed medical attention (thankfully). It was a slow climb down that night!

I also dry fired once or twice by accident, but my Ten Point has a safety feature that stops dry fire.

#9 ·
I have not gotten a digit in the path of the string... luckily.

However, I nearly broke my knee when I discharged my de-****ing arrow while pointing the crossbow nearly straight down, so I could easily find it after I climbed down from my tree in the fading light.

When the crossbow fires, the cross arms fling forward with a lot of force. One whacked my knee... HARD. Had a pretty purple and yellow bruise and some swelling, but nothing that needed medical attention (thankfully). It was a slow climb down that night!

I also dry fired once or twice by accident, but my Ten Point has a safety feature that stops dry fire.
Don't shoot in the ground in Yazoo county, the arrow will be gone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.