Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all anglers. First off, thanks to everyone that supported us this year, and thanks to those that helped us grow.

We have heard your voices and taken a lot of anglers' feedback with open ears.... Big Louie & I have both decided to take Yellow Mouth Fever (YMF) back to our grass roots next year in 2017.

YMF in 2017 will be open to Mississippi Residents only.
ONLY LA & MS waters will be open.
All water WEST of the Mississippi River will be OFF Limits.

Big Louie & I do this simply because we love fishing, we love the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and we treasure the fellowship and relationship with all of you guys/gals.

I am also working on getting Yellow Mouth Fever involved in a couple Local Conservational Fishing programs. When everything is finalized Big Louie will announce it here. It is something we would hope to get all of our Mississippi Coastal Anglers involved in.

Thanks to all.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm kind of in a spot now. I have a house in Biloxi, I'm in the Mississippi National Guard, but I'm a TN resident. So I can't fish in the YMF next year?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kind of in a spot now. I have a house in Biloxi, I'm in the Mississippi National Guard, but I'm a TN resident. So I can't fish in the YMF next year?
We will take issues such as these into consideration. Not sure yet how we will word the rule. I dont think that would be a problem for you in that case... since west of mississippi will be off limits. Amd its MS and LA waters only.

Tha ks for your service, and thanks for bringing that up!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think this is a step in the right direction but I think there maybe some room for improvement. Not trying to be critical only helpful. With the military/coast guard and other government branches that make up the coast this rule may hurt s lot of the guys stationed here that may not be residents but are living here. What is the goal on limiting to only ms residents? If the goal is to limit it to locals(which I do like) then I think limiting the tournament to having to leave ms waters by boat only remedies this and takes care of the resident issue as well. Just trying to help avoid any issues in the future for you. We all appreciate the time and effort yall put into this to make it happen.

Again, I am not trying to be critical, only helpful.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just check for resident fishing licenses all military can purchase one
Good point.

I think it could be written to account for someone like Cyle who owns property in Mississippi.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
`Great ...I think you guys are on the right track.If someone is here in the Military by all means let them be in the tournament.I think you guys have settled a lot of issue's for next year.Keep up the good work,I support you guys 100%.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'd have to agree with the issues that were brought up in the other thread, and am glad you are looking into solutions. I do believe the one simple rule to avoid any conflicts mentioned above and to prevent fish being turned in like the one that brought all this up, is that all boats/kayaks/waders must be launched at and return to a MS dock. This would not cause any issues with military, non residents, or the like. I personally have 0 issues with guides or non residents fishing and winning the tournament. I do have an issue with a trout being caught 4-5 hours away in one of the best, most popular trophy trout areas in the US being turned into what was assumed by most as a "local" tournament. Just my "helpful" .02¢. And opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I stumbled upon this site a few months back looking for fishing tips for the BSL area. I have three small boys that are excited about learning to fish. I learned about the YMF Tournament through this site. I signed up as soon as possible. I signed up my three boys as well. I have been pumping them up about this tournament since I read about it.

My concern is we are LA residents. Our family owns a camp in BSL and fish only out of BSL. I believe we are probably not the only ones that are in this situation. It would be very disappointing to see the tournament closed to a family like us. To be perfectly honest, I'm not trying to win and do not care if we even place. What I do care about is teaching my boys to fish and fish together. If joining a tournament gets them excited about fishing, teaches them sportsmanship, reinforces honesty, and teaches them a sport that they can do together their entire life that is what it is all about. I would hope consideration would be taken into account for next year's rules for situations like ours.

That being said, I truly enjoy reading the threads on this forum. I have been on other forums in the past and there is constant drama and arguing. This site has been different. I truly value what I have read and learned here so thank you to the folks that contribute to the atmosphere of this site.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'd have to agree with the issues that were brought up in the other thread, and am glad you are looking into solutions. I do believe the one simple rule to avoid any conflicts mentioned above and to prevent fish being turned in like the one that brought all this up, is that all boats/kayaks/waders must be launched at and return to a MS dock. This would not cause any issues with military, non residents, or the like. I personally have 0 issues with guides or non residents fishing and winning the tournament. I do have an issue with a trout being caught 4-5 hours away in one of the best, most popular trophy trout areas in the US being turned into what was assumed by most as a "local" tournament. Just my "helpful" .02¢. And opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions!
This is a perfect, and simple, solution. Avoids all the hassle of checking residency etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts