Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Young squirrel dog plus pics from opening weekend

Went up to Kentucky and picked up this pup last spring. At 3 months old she was treeing yard squirrels. But broke her leg Memorial Day weekend and that severely limited her learning curve over the summer.

I took her out to the woods for the first time last weekend. (Had to wait til I was sure the rattlers had gone to ground). On her second afternoon she made a tree and even with the leaves on I was lucky enough to get a shot. Always exciting to see any young dog start to work things out and do the job they were bred to do. Looking forward to a good winter of learning ahead.

And here's a couple photos from "squirrel camp" back opening weekend. No dogs on this hunt. Just some still hunting

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love seeing a dog figure it out. I think a friend of mine Steven was with you on that big hunt. He sent me a picture of the white squirrel.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah man...steven is a good friend of mine. he's the one that convinced me to drive north for my squirrel dog pup.

funny thing about that white squirrel...i was gonna get to the camp late on friday afternoon. their whole crew was gonna be on the federal land for the evening hunt. i took the .22 and just slipped around behind their camp house and ended up with white squirrel. that big pic was from that saturday morning on the refuge.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Delmar, I wish you much success with the pup! I have a BMC male that trees pretty good but seems to really like blood tracking deer as well or better! This makes him prone to getting after a deer if the squirrels ain't out! I think I am about to pull the hammer and try raising me a Treeing Feist pup!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts